CUMBERLAND — The case of a LaVale man accused of hunting bears during closed season was placed on the stet docket Tuesday, eliminating a jury trial slated for Wednesday in Allegany County Circuit Court and denying the defendant the privilege to hunt for two years.
Charles Frederick Evans III, 31, was charged by Natural Resources Police Officer Cory Garver on the first day of the Maryland deer firearms season in November with shooting two bears, a 180-pound sow that died and a cub that was not recovered, in spite of an effort by a Department of Natural Resources tracking dog. The incident took place on the Green Ridge State Forest along Dailey Road southeast of Oldtown.
The decision to use the stet docket was made Tuesday morning during a case status conference. Evans was represented by Assistant Public Defender James F. Elliott.
Read the rest of the article by clicking here!
Source: Cumberland Times-News
For more information on Maryland Bear Hunting, click the active link – Bear Hunting Blog.
Maryland Black bear hunter, Derek Smith, with a nice MD Bruin.
Explanation of the Maryland Bear Hunting Preference Point System
In 2007, DNR implemented a Preference Point System for bear hunting permit applicants. Each year that a hunter applies for a bear hunting permit he/she will receive one preference point if they are not selected for a bear hunting permit. The preference points will provide additional entries in future lotteries. Applicants will get one additional entry in the lottery for each year they are a concurrent applicant. The Preference Point System has been functioning as it was designed. Preference points have improved applicants’ chances of getting drawn in the lottery. In 2011, 87% of the successful applicants drawn in the lottery had at least one preference point.
- Applicants must apply each year to retain preference points. If an applicant skips a year, all preference points will be forfeited.
- Once an applicant is selected to receive a bear hunting permit, all preference points will be forfeited.
- If an applicant is selected in the lottery, but forfeits the permit, all preference points will be forfeited.
- Applicants will not forfeit preference points by participating in the hunt as a Sub-permittee or Landowner Sub-permittee.
- Applicants have the opportunity to purchase a preference point only. This will allow those hunters who cannot hunt in 2012 the opportunity to retain their preference points for use in future drawings without risk of losing them.
New this Year
Residents of the hunt area (Garrett and Allegany counties) will receive preference in the lottery drawing. The first 25% of applications drawn will be reserved for residents of the hunt area. The remaining 75% of applications selected will be drawn from the remaining pool of all eligible applicants. This change is in response to continuous requests from the public since bear hunting has returned to western Maryland in 2004. This is an attempt to help residents experiencing nuisance bear problems address those issues directly through applied hunting pressure.
Source: Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Bear Hunting Blog